Housed at the Federal University of Paraná’s Law School, the HUMAN RIGHTS CLINIC|BIOTECJUS executes integrated activities of Education, Research and “Social Intervention” with transdisciplinary themes regarding Human Rights, focusing on ethical, legal and social aspects of technoscience on human, animal and planetary life.
The clinical methodology of legal education orientates CDH|UFPR’s activities. Characterized by the interdisciplinar articulation between theory and practice, the clinical methodology prioritizes student protagonism at solving problems whose legal and social impacts are emblematic. Our main activities include: i) elaboration and execution of theoretical and empirical research projects on Law and ii) diagnostic and social intervention projects.
With contextualized, participative and transdisciplinary approaches, students, teachers and partner organizations act in social impact projects. CDH|UFPR’s activities on Human Rights education aim the popularization of knowledge, sensibilization to Human Rights and, notedly, their concretization.
This is done by DIVERSE STRATEGIES:
1) Judicial and extrajudicial strategies: participation on strategic national litigation (ex. impactful individual demands, collective, amicus curie contribution) and international (ex. OEA, ONU), partnerships with law firms (pro bono), alternative dispute resolution strategies (ex. mediation);
2) Formation strategies: The realization of international exchange programs, oratory courses, capacitation for the development on empirical research, simulated tests, participation on international competitions of human rights and correlated thematics, scientific articles production – involving students, academic community and society in general – women, teenagers, health professionals, prisoners etc.;
3) Communication strategies: capacitation and use of electronic, social and general media, as well as the production of scientific articles whose target audience are students, academic community and general community, like women, teenagers, health professionals, prisoners, etc.;
4) Legislative and judicial lobby strategies: social articulation, law projects analysis, boost on legal and judicial reforms;
5) Public policies strategies: cooperation and accompaniment of policies within the Executive Power (Local, State and National);
6) Oversight strategies: observatories (ex. Supreme Court [STF] jurisprudence) and partnerships with NGO’s.
7) Street Law strategies: directed material towards society as a whole, without technical formation in our area of study and actuation.
8) Sensibilization strategies: Use of art (cinema, photography, music, dance etc.) to promote the culture of human rights alongside managers, professionals and people directly affected by the studied and accompanied phenomenon.
Beyond the connected interaction with other human rights clinics (UNB, PUCPR, Univille, Rede Amazônica), CDH|UFPR has partnerships in Brazil and abroad (France, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Bolivia), conducts scientific and non-technical publications, organizes events and study groups aiming to attain their objectives in an efficient and consistent form.
CDH|UFPR intends to follow the academic productivity indexes of recent years, expanding its scientific, social and pedagogical impacts. 1. Scientific, by strategical publications on Brazil and abroad; 2. Social, by social intervention projects; 3. Pedagogical, by proposing, orientating and executing clinical education methodologies in Human Rights.
The education, research and extension projects and activities are executed based from a concrete theoretical perspective of the law, which prioritizes, therefore, simultaneous analysis of the theoretical, institutional and social frames. In other words, our basis lies in the need to interrelate theoretical reflections and empirical research, as well as conceptual investigations and on the functioning of legal institutions.
CDH|UFPR aims, precisely, to develop their activities in the intersection between the fields mentioned above, marked by controversies, conflicts and disputes that permeate the process of creating and implementation of new rights. After all, it’s precisely there that we can observe the mechanisms, social actors and strategies of creation, stabilization, interpretation, tensioning, perversion and renovation of Law.
Those efforts concentrate in three AXIS OF PRIORITARY RESEARCH (EPP):
I. THEMATIC AXIS | HUMAN RIGHTS AND NEW RIGHTS
Covers transnational and cosmopolitan themes in a non-hegemonic Human Rights perspective, such as:
1) biotechnologies and technoscience (reproductive technologies, biomedicine, neuroscience, biosafety, etc.):
2) ethical and legal marks on innovation and research;
3) human, non-human and posthuman;
4) biodiversity, food safety and proper feeding;
5) indigenous and traditional folk;
6) secularity and religious diversity;
7) sexual and reproductive rights and gender studies;
8) law and genetics (DNA databases etc.).
II. THEORETICAL AXIS | LAW AND BIOPOLITICS: THEORETICAL, INSTITUTIONAL AND SOCIAL ANALYSIS
Covers theoretical and conceptual reflections on the biopolitical management of bodies, especially those proposed by Michel Foucault and his contemporary re-readings. It is proposed that these reading constitute the lenses from which the problems selected for study and intervention will be faced, prioritizing methodologies for simultaneous analysis of the theoretical, institutional and social areas of law (SCHIOCCHET, 2018).
III. METHODOLOGICAL AXIS | EMPIRICAL RESEARCH ON LAW METHODOLOGIES
The third Axis of Research involves the production of knowledge and it’s reflexes in terms of power and truth. Are interesting discussions about the following:
1) epistemology, science and alternative knowledge;
2) the (re)production of knowledge and its ethical and social implications;
3) Slow and fast Science;
4) Methodological research drawings;
5) Clinical and empirical research on Law methodologies;
6) Jurisprudencial research: methodologies;
7) Ethics on research;
8) Authorship policy and scientific communication
Discover our projects and the team on CDH|UFPR and on CNPq.
Visit the blog Fala Direito Comigo and follow us on Facebook CDH|UFPR, CINEJUS, Fala Direito Comigo.